Green is the new Red: Organic Roses - Love Week
The Bite: Love the blooms, but disheartened by the toxic chemicals used by conventional growers to keep those posies rosiy? Buy organic roses for Valentine's Day.
Bang for The Bite: A dozen organic roses cost about $5 more than their conventional counterparts at a leading online organic florist - aren't your lover and the planet worth it?
• Eco-certification systems are now firmly in place for flowers, so lose the guilt for wanting a dozen classic beauties. If you live in Europe, you can even buy fair trade certified flowers.
• Organic growing practices are now used by even some of the largest growers, protecting the land, the water and the workers. 70% of the cut flowers sold in the USA are from Ecuador and Columbia; give these countries some love by buying products that protect workers in these developing countries.
• Stuck in Peoria on business travel? (Apologies if you live in Peoria). Buying online is fast and efficient, which we find very romantic.
Number of long term relationships we (combined) have had? Eight. Number that have broken up in February? Seven. We share that not because we want any pity presents...no way, not us.
• Organic Bouquet and California Organic Flowers - get organcic flowers shipped direct from the grower($39.95 avg).
• Local Harvest - find and buy seasonal flowers from your local farmers' market (okay, maybe only if you live in Australia, Florida or California).
• Veriflora - check their list for third-part certified suppliers and distributors.
• Network for Good - your organic flower purchases help support charity.