Kratom is a tropical evergreen tree that’s normally found in South Asia. The tree is part of the coffee family. For many years, Kratom leaves have been used as sedatives or stimulants. The herb has also shown positive results in treating chronic pain and digestive issues. Kratom may also help deal with withdrawal symptoms among patients who are addicted to opium. Despite all these Kratom benefits, clinical trials that can help us understand the therapeutic benefits of the herb have been rare. The tree is yet to be approved for medical use too. But there are millions of people who use it on a day to day basis.
How is Kratom Used and Why?
Kratom can be administered in small doses for the purpose of stimulation. People who use the herb will often experience high energy levels, better focus, and improved confidence. However, higher Kratom doses could cause sedation.
Kratom has two main active ingredients. They include alkaloids mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine. There’s enough research to suggest that these alkaloids have pain relieving properties. They can also be used as muscle relaxants. People who suffer from chronic fibromyalgia, in particular, could find relief using Kratom regularly.
The herb is ingested in its raw form. But some basic processing is needed before the tree leaves are ready. The dark green leaves are simply dried and then crushed to form the powder. The powder is usually green. But in cases where the powder has been fortified with other beneficial extracts, it can be light brown. Kratom is also available in paste, tablet, or capsule form. In the US, the leaves are mixed up with tea before they are ingested. Kratom is largely used to help people in the US self-manage the withdrawal effects of opioid dependency.
Is Kratom Controversial?
Yes, Kratom is one of the most controversial medicinal plants in the market at the moment. The reasons for this are actually simple. First, the tree is yet to be recommended by relevant authorities for medical use. In addition to this, there aren’t many studies or clinical trials that provide evidence on the potential Kratom benefits.
Clinical trials are essential in the development of new drugs. Such trials are needed to make sure a product has no serious side effects before being released to the market. Besides, Kratom is a potent plant. It contains almost as many alkaloids as opium or hallucinogenic mushrooms. Alkaloids may have a number of physical effects on humans. Although most of these effects tend to be positive, in some cases they can cause some issues.
This simply underscores the need for thorough clinical studies on the leaves and their effects on humans. After all, safety is always a big part of drug administration. Even though many people are already using Kratom, there isn’t an established safety framework out there. Such a framework would regulate the production, processing, and distribution of Kratom-related products to ensure quality is guaranteed. But so far we are still not there yet.
Top Kratom Benefits for Health
As we noted above, Kratom has many health benefits.
Here are some of the main ones:
Kratom contains alkaloids that can be used to relieve pain. These are the same alkaloids available in opioids. However, Kratom has one advantage. Unlike opioids, it’s actually not addictive if not taken in large doses. The herb can offer mild to moderate pain relief, especially for people who suffer from
- rheumatoid arthritis,
- chronic back
- and joint pain,
- and other inflammatory conditions.
2-Helps with Addiction
- Kratom can activate the opiate receptors in the brain but it’s actually not an opiate. The active ingredients in the leaves will bond with these receptors before opioids do.
- This can help people manage opioid dependency. For many recovering addicts, Kratom will make cravings more manageable without the risk of long-term addiction or dependency.
- Over the years, this herb has been used as part of the overall treatment regimen for people recovering from alcohol and heroin abuse.
3-Treats Anxiety and Depression
- There are a lot of people around the world who are prone to anxiety, stress, and depression. Kratom can be beneficial to these people. The tree leaves tend to soothe nerves and elevate mood leading to noticeable stress relief.
- Kratom contains a psychoactive substance that triggers the release of endorphins and serotonin. These hormones are known to enhance mood and relieve stress.
- In addition to this, Kratom has a unique calming effect that can help people who suffer from social anxiety. So if you are scared of large crowds kratom will calm the nerves and make you feel more confident.
- The tree leaves will also be ideal in alleviating insomnia, excessive sweating, heart palpitations, muscle cramping, and other issues.
In some cases, Kratom has also been used to help people with PTSD manage their condition better. The leaves may also offer some relief for patients with regular panic attacks and chronic depression. However, it’s important to note that Kratom should not be abused. Overdosing on the leaves can make you “high” so make sure you’re careful with the dosage.
- Kratom may have a positive effect on your overall productivity at work or in school. The active ingredients in the herb activate the opiate receptors in your brain, making it hyperactive all the time. This allows you to work for more extended hours without feeling fatigued.
- In addition to this, the ingestion of Kratom will trigger the production of serotonin and dopamine. These hormones tend to have a calming effect which makes it easier for you to focus on the tasks ahead.
- In case you work in high-pressure environments that require your focus and attention all day, a regular dose of Kratom can make your life very easy.
- The activation of opioid receptors in your brain by the active ingredients in Kratom will get you into high energy levels. Think of it as an “adrenaline rush.” You will feel stronger, motivated, and psyched up to face the day as it comes.
- The relaxing feeling offered by the herb will also ensure you have a clear mind at the start of each day. This allows you to process information faster and come up with solutions to problems at work.
6-Helps with Heart Health
- The chemical components in Kratom can also have positive effects on arteries and other blood vessels. The leaves may help lower blood pressure.
- In addition to this, stress and anxiety have been associated with a higher risk of heart disease. Kratom helps to alleviate this stress, and in the process, it plays a small part in reducing the risk of heart attack among users.
7-Boosts Sex Drive
- Kratom has historically been used to boost sex drive. It’s a natural and perfect aphrodisiac that works.
- People who suffer from various sexual disorders like erectile dysfunction may find relief using the leaves. The same also applies to people with low libido.
8-Improves Sleep Quality
- Insomnia is such a common condition. Getting quality sleep can have positive implications on overall health and productivity. Kratom can assist with this.
- It will help you sleep faster and deeper each day. And it’s not just for insomniacs only. People who experience night terrors or parasomnia may also benefit from the herb.
- Kratom is a powerful anti-inflammatory. One of its alkaloids known as mitragynine can help reduce inflammation significantly. The alkaloid will also promote natural healing in the body while reducing pain, redness, and swelling.
- Kratom works like a regular over-the-counter analgesic, but it’s natural and not addictive. This is the main reason why the leaves are very popular among people who have osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, and osteoarthritis.
- The parasympathetic nervous system controls the entire gastrointestinal tract. Kratom can help to regulate this whole system slowing down peristalsis in the process.
- This significantly reduces the risk of diarrhea. In addition to this, the anti-inflammatory properties found in the leaves can help alleviate common inflammatory digestive issues like Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis.
- Millions of people suffer from these digestive disorders. Even though there are many remedies out there, Kratom is far more effective.
11-Contains Beneficial Antioxidants
- Some researchers claim that Kratom can help prevent cancer. The leaves have a lot of essential antioxidants which prevent the formation of free radicals.
- This is associated with a lower risk of cancer. However, conclusive research on this is still not enough. But it is clear that Kratom has the potential to help the body fight off various forms of cancer.
12-Helps with Weight Loss
- Stress and depression are some of the leading causes of weight gain among people. Kratom has relaxing properties that can help deal with anxiety and depression. This will have a ripple effect in preventing weight gain as a result. Kratom can also regulate satiety in the brain.
- In essence, you will feel full faster when eating, and this reduces the amount of food intake per meal.
- Kratom has been used for hundreds of years in many civilizations to deal with chronic fatigue. The leaves enhance blood circulation which improves the flow of oxygen in your body. This will give you a burst of energy that could last for a few hours. It may also help improve the metabolic rate.
- We are living in a high-pressure world. People are always tired and stressed after each day. Kratom can help to deal with this without any risk of addiction or dependency.
Is Kratom an Opiate?
One of the most polarizing questions about Kratom is based on its status as a medical product. Is it opiate-like opium? Well, even though Kratom can induce opiate-like effects, it’s just a medicinal plant. It’s not nearly as dangerous as opiates. It’s a safe and healthy natural product that offers many benefits with minimal side effects. The only thing you need to do is use it appropriately. Besides, an opiate refers to any product derived from the opium plant. Kratom is not derived from these plants. It’s, in fact, a plant on its own, native to many countries of South Asia.
What If You Take Kratom in High Doses
Higher doses of Kratom will result in effects that are similar to opioid use. However, these effects tend to be less intense. This is the reason why Kratom has often been used as a substitute for opioids among recovering addicts.
High doses of Kratom may also cause sedation, euphoria, and cough suppression. Some people may experience constipation, itching, and nausea. In some cases, these side effects may occur even if you don’t take a high dose.
The side effects can be quite severe if the herb is combined with other prescription drugs and medicines. You may also experience hangover a day after taking a high dose of Kratom. It’s similar to the illness you get after drinking a lot of alcohol. The best way to avoid these issues is always to make sure you are using a pure form of Kratom. Many products in the market are infused with other supplements, and this raises the potential risks for serious side effects.
There is no doubt that there are many Kratom benefits. If you are still not sure, you can go online, read a number to scientific studies and see for yourself. Although the research is not a lot, there is enough out there to suggest that using Kratom can help deal with many health-related issues.
In addition to this, you can also check out the experiences of people who have used this herb before. You will see real-life stories of people who have already benefited from Kratom in one way or another. The most important thing is always to make sure that you buy authentic products from genuine and reputable sellers. Getting an unadulterated product is essential if you want to enjoy the full Kratom benefits.